Making the Most of a Rainy Day
Don’t let inclement weather rain on your parade in Walt Disney World®! Florida weather can produce sudden heavy showers, but can clear up rather quickly. I recommend waiting it out and you may even catch a shorter line to an attraction.
Here are some tips for continuing the magic despite the rain wherever you are on property:
1) Rain Ponchos - Bring a lightweight rain jacket or rain poncho with you to the parks. They also sell ponchos, so you’re always covered. Umbrellas are permitted in the park as well, but they can get tricky when walking through a crowd. In my opinion, ponchos are much more convenient and effective.
2) Grab a Bite - If you don’t already have a dining reservation, rainy weather can be a great excuse to grab a seat at an indoor quick service location for a drink or a snack. This is a good chance to relax and recharge with a cup of coffee and a pastry! My favorite indoor quick service locations are Sunshine Seasons, Les Halles Boulangerie-Patisserie, and Tangierine Café in EPCOT, Cosmic Ray’s and Columbia Harbor House in Magic Kingdom, and Earl of Sandwich in Disney Springs. But there are TONS of options! Check out My Disney Experience App for current menus around your location, order online, and skip the wait.
3) Indoor Attractions - While outdoor attractions may temporarily close due to lightning & rain, many indoor attractions will remain open. And with the rain, you may even see shorter wait times as people leave the parks early, making it a great time to ride. Here just a few of my favorite attractions in the rain:
Magic Kingdom: Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin, Enchanted Tales with Belle, Mickey’s PhilharMagic, Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor, Space Mountain, Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover, Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room, and Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress.
EPCOT: Soarin’ Around the World, Spaceship Earth, The Seas with Nemo & Friends, Turtle Talk with Crush, Test Track, Gran Fiesta Tour Starring The Three Caballeros, or just wander through the pavilions at the World Showcase (Kidcot Fun Stops are a fun activity for the kids! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgVgoQN49Kg)
HollyWood Studios: Muppet*Vision 3D, The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, Rock ’n’ Roller Coaster, Star Tours - The Adventure Continues, Toy Story Mania!, Star Wars Launch Bay Theater
Animal Kingdom: Dinosaur, It’s Tough to be a Bug!, Avatar Flight of Passage
Check the My Disney Experience App’s map to see what’s currently operating and for current wait times.
5) Head to a Water Park - If the weather forecast says it may only rain for a short time, perhaps this is the best time for a water park. Unless there is lightning, the water parks stay open. You’ll be wet anyways, so grab a chair by the pool and take advantage of shorter lines for the water slides!
6) Go Shopping! - Escape the rain & go souvenir hunting anywhere on property. You can even send your purchases to the front of the park or to your resort if staying on property - at no extra charge! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zd2RZPqGGk
Whatever you end up doing, take this time to enjoy the time you’re spending with your family or friends. You’re making magical memories no matter what you’re doing!